Day 9: Card Readers & Goodbyes

(Hours: 7:30am-3:00pm)

My last day at Colby-Sawyer College started the same as the last. I opened up and turned on the Tech. Department and Library. After that I headed to David’s Office for my final day of work. I started the day off by imaging some HP D530s (the ones I took out of the old school newspaper office). The D530s are going to be extra faculty computers, for the coming school year.

Once I imaged 3 machines, I got assigned a new task of stripping down the old card readers. These were the old blackboard card readers that the students used for things like Laundry Machines. I had to open them up, strip out all the computer boards/chips and remove the power supply. What I was left with was an empty metal shell, with some extra screws. This shell can be used and recycled by the maintenance department, so I just stacked them in the hall. The computer chips boards and pieced were all put in a big box, and are going to be disposed of, as they are no use to us anymore.

After stripping down the old card readers, I went back to imaging the HP D530s. Things went ok, but a few had broken DVD drives that had to be replaced. Replacing the DVD drives was very simple in the D530 model, all you have to do is unplug it and slide it out. There were also some problems while imaging, two of the machines turned off mid-imaging, and I had to restart the process over. Besides that, the image worked fine and all six of the machines now have a fresh copy of Windows.

And with that, my time at Colby-Sawyer College has ended. It has been a great experience; I’ve learned so much and will try to compile my thoughts together in my weekly reflection.

Post time: 5:49pm est

1 comments:

David said...

Thanks for all your help Jim. I've started to deploy the Windows 7 image you created. It was a real pleasure to work with you. Have a wonderful summer and best of luck at school next fall!

Post a Comment