Day 3: Dust & Servers

(Hours: 7:30am-5:00pm)

My morning began opening and turning on the Tech. Department and Library, at 7:30. Then I went right to work in the Tech Department. I started my day doing some updates and finishing up cleaning old hard drives. After that I began testing some password combinations for Colby’s new Outlook Live email system. I created a list of all the possible special characters and ran through them, testing each one individually. You wouldn’t believe how picky Outlook Live’s password system is, you can use a left bracket but don’t you dare try a right one, that won’t work.

After finishing up the password combinations, I headed to David’s office to finish up my Image computer. I installed some non-essential updates, and added an antivirus program. Then I finished up with account settings, and permissions. The image is pretty much done, except for Microsoft Office. Colby-Sawyer isn’t positive if they want to upgrade with the 2010 version, so I have to leave the image as is until that decision is made.

Once the image was finished I worked on updating a few machines in the tech department. As well as backing up an employee’s laptop. Next was an HP laptop with ‘broken’ keys and it was “Running Slow”. The keys were an easy fix, just had to snap them back on. As for the slow part… turns out it was over heating, due to a clogged fan. I spend a good half an hour cleaning that machine out, and it still looks dirty. The fan works great though, and the system is running much better.

Finished with jobs in the tech department, Art Grodan brought me over to the server room. He gave me a basic run down of their server system, They have two main server rooms, both running and constantly backing up on another, incase one room goes down. There’s a tape back up system, as well as a hard drive back up which is faster but doesn’t have the same capacity as the 850gig tapes. The room itself is extremely loud, but for a reason. The room needs to stay at a constant cool temperature, in order for the servers to run safely. If the room reaches a certain temperature, power to the servers will be cut off, to prevent damage.

There’s a bunch of different types of servers in the 4 racks, but they are trying to narrow it down with a new virtualization system. Currently they have about 90% virtualization of their servers. This is a rather new system and they are doing this with VMware’s server client program. Having virtualized server reduces the space requirements, as well as electrical. There is some down falls to running virtualized servers though, one being the dependence of virtualized servers on other virtualized servers. If one goes down, two will. I’m excited to learn more about Colby’s network and server system, and in the coming days I will be working with Art to put in a new rack server.

Post time: 5:32pm est.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Yuck! That was a pretty dusty, dirty computer. It makes me wonder what the inside of my laptop looks like. Maybe I should think about bringing it in to our Help Desk and see if they can clean it out before it starts clogging up my fan. Thanks for making me think about that!

Post a Comment