Day 7: Images & IV's

(Hours: 7:30am-5:00pm)

I opened up at 7:30 again today, and then went straight to David’s Office. It was pretty crummy out today and the walk wasn’t very pleasant. I jumped right into the computer I was working on yesterday. The computer still wouldn’t start up; all I got was a black screen and a cursor. It had to be a problem with the .dll file I edited yesterday to put a default logo on the login screen. Since the computer wouldn’t boot I had to use a boot CD. With this boot CD I was able to go into Windows Explorer and change the authui.dll back to the original that we saved in the same directory under a different name, authui_original.dll.

The computer worked fine after this and so I tried to see if the administrator rights that I edited was the problem with the old one. I matched both authui.dll files up and set up the exact same rights and permissions. I made the edited one with the logon picture the default and restarted… then black screen. No go. So I had to use the boot CD again and revert back to the original authui.dll file. I did some more research and found a way to just completely remove the logon account logo frame.

To remove this blank frame from the logon screen, I again had to edit the authui.dll file in the syste32 folder. I used a program called Resource Hacker to open up the authui.dll file. With this program I was able to browse and edit the xml files within the .dll file itself. I followed some pretty basic instructions off an online guide. I had to find 3 lengthy strings of code in 3 separate xml directories (UIFILE\12400\1033, UIFILE\12401\1033, and UIFILE\12402\1033). After finding the 3 strings of code, I deleted them, saved the .dll, and recompiled it. I restarted the computer and it worked! The stupid blank frame was gone and all that was there was a user and password entries, it looks much better.

The Nursing Department just got in a new IV pump and they needed help installing some software on it so I headed there next. The IV pump needed an updated Drug Library installed on it. I installed the Drug Library on a computer, and installed an infrared transfer device that the IV pump uses. To transfer the Drug Library I had to export it and use the Infrared transfer dongle to move the library over. However I ran into a problem trying to transfer the file over, the IV pump is password protected, and there was no documentation on what that password is. A quick call to their support line revealed the default password to be 5555. The Drug Library was installed and everything worked.

After that I went back to David’s office to try one last thing on the windows 7 Image computer. I tried to get the default user to show file extensions in the explorer. It is really easy to do with the current user; it’s just a control panel setting. But with the DEFAULT user profile it doesn’t work. I added a key to the registry and put in a new dword value called HideFileExt, and I set the value to 0. This should in theory work, it does in previous versions of Windows, but it doesn’t in Windows 7.

Once that was figured out, I just had to create a local admin and fix one more Local Group Policy setting and I was done with the image. I finally got to run the sysprep tool that would keep popping up at start up. After sysprep ran we booted to another CD that uses a command prompt.

It is a little tedious but it works, the CD captures the installation (in an image) and places it onto a network share. We ran this once before doing the final sysprep run, to have a safe backup image. Once this finished I ran sysprep again and configured it to put the imaged machine in the “out of the box experience” mode. I will finish this up tomorrow, and hopefully image another computer.

Post time: 5:26pm est

1 comments:

David said...

Getting file extensions to show for all users on a Windows 7 system is one of those problems that doesn't have a solution ... yet. I'm betting someone will figure it out soon. Nice try! Thought that one got away, you did manage to program an IV pump with an updated drug library, and make that silly empty logon box go away, so ... YAY! :o)

Post a Comment